With winter weather, not only comes the cold, but the humidity also drops, making the air drier. Combining this with the home heaters and car heaters, our skin suffers and gets drier due to the oil glands also becoming more sluggish due to the weather. The skin can become irritated, sensitive and any glow seems to vanish. There are several things you can do to maintain your skin's glow and hydration during these cold months. We want to share 5 ways to boost your skincare routine this winter season for a flawless, healthy complexion.
5 Tips to keep your skin healthy during winter:
1. Layer your skincare: What does this mean? Don't just wash and go or just add a moisturizer. Make sure to add super hydrating serums or oils to your routine. Apply a hyaluronic acid serum to combat the drier air, add antioxidants to help with environmental damage and maybe switch to an oil cleanser or one that can nourish the skin and it's not overly drying.
2. Protect your skin from hot water or too much water contact: If you are like me and love taking a bath on a weekly basis, I get it. It's hard to keep your skin hydrated during winter months after soaking for 20 minutes. There is a simple fix for this; add nourishing bath bombs that contain oils into your bath tub or use bath oil all over that is free of petrochemicals and toxic ingredients. We highly recommend one of our exquisite bath bombs. They have anti-inflammatory non-toxic ingredients that are extremely nourishing for the skin. This way you can soak with confidence! Your skin will be well hydrated and your body will be warm and cozy.
3. Look for natural plant-based products: Highly chemical skincare comes with a price, irritation and further aging from too much inflammation. Try switching to a natural skincare line like Poet's Garden Alchemist, or a line that is clean of toxic ingredients. Your skin will thank you in the long run!
4. Use a humidifier: Using a humidifier in your home will help with the drier air from heaters. Dry air can cause a havoc of issues for your skin and using a humidifier will help replenish the top layer of your epidermis by preventing further water loss and preventing the air from becoming too dry.
5. Wear a mineral non-toxic SPF: Just because it is winter and less sunny, doesn't mean the UV rays aren't damaging the skin. No matter the season, wear a mineral, non-toxic SPF daily to protect your skin from further sun exposure. This will keep your skin looking its best throughout the year and staying youthful and even toned.
Products we recommend this winter:
Day Time Skincare Routine:
1. Cleanse with Poet's Garden Alchemist Nurture Powder Cleanser. This cleanser is perfect for all skin types, including the most sensitive. It comes in a powder form that when mixed with a couple of drops of water, becomes a luxurious foam that washes away any impurities from the night before. It will gently brighten and exfoliate in a very gentle way while nourishing with hydrating ingredients that are also anti-inflammatory.
2. Use our Radiant Vitamin. C Serum: This serum is full of antioxidants, hyaluronic acid and citrus stem cells to keep your skin hydrated, bright and healthy. Use a little bit all over the face, neck and décolleté to also help fight the signs of aging and firm the skin.
3. Moisturize with our Drench Day time Moisturizer: This is a light yet supercharged day time moisturizer that will keep your skin super hydrated and glowing! Squalane helps with irritation and redness and our multi-vitamin unique formula will bring about the best glossy skin. Filled with hyaluronic acid to prevent further trans-epidermal water loss.
4. Wear our tinted mineral SPF 30+ to protect your skin form harmful UV rays daily after your moisturizer.
Night Time Skincare Routine:
1. Cleanse with our Immaculate Oil Face Cleanser: This cleanser will deeply cleanser your skin yet nourish without stripping any natural oils. Use it with dry skin and remove it with a warm wet microfiber towel to leave the skin soft and without any residue. This is my favorite cleanser!
2. Use our Night Dew Drops Vitamin A Serum. Not only this serum will help with cell turnover, which is much needed during colder months, but it is loaded with hyaluronic acid! Vitamin A is the holy grail of any skincare routine for any skin type. It helps your skin boost elastin, collagen, fight acne, wrinkles, hyper-pigmentation, you name it, vitamin A does it all. Start by introducing this serum slowly into your routine, use it every other night or 3 times per week and slowly increase it to every night. Vitamin A tends to at first cause skin flaking due to the fast cell turn over it provokes, but trust me, after your skin gets used to it, it will never look better!
3. Moisturize your skin with our Rejuvenate Night Cream. This lovely blend of botanicals infused with peony flower will bring about a gorgeous rosy glow to the skin while also brightening, nourishing and firming the skin. Its light natural lavender scent will help you relax right before bed time to help you wake up refreshed and beautiful.
We love keeping it minimal and simple at Poet's Garden Alchemist, because more is not always better. Tell us below if you try our winter routine and what your thoughts are, we would love to hear from you!