What is a flow state and why is it important?
Many of us have experienced a flow state before, yet we didn't recognize that it was happening or why it's important.
A flow state is the fluidity between your body and mind. It's when you're completely submerged on something, beyond the point of distraction. Time feels like it has stopped, all senses become heightened. You become one with the task, creating an effortless momentum. Anyone can create this form of awareness that can help you meet any goals faster and increase creativity.
Why is it important?
Researchers have found that one of the main benefits of being in a flow state is that it can enhance your performance in every aspect of your life, work and creativity. When you are in a state of flow, you get better and faster results. You bloom and achieve your dreams.
How can we induce a flow state:
1. Eliminate all sort of distractions: Put your phone away, make sure you are in a quiet space, and concentrate on your current task. Distractions can take anyone away from a flow state. Getting into a flow state can take as little as 10 minutes without distractions.
2. Include journaling or meditation to your daily routine: This will help to quiet down internal distractions and get your mind and body connected and focused for the rest of the day.
3. Work on a single task at a time: when we try to do too much at once, it's impossible to reach a flow state. Try focusing on a task at a time, and setting your full energy to it. The more you love what you are doing, the easiest will be to go into a flow state.
4. Have a clear goal in mind: If you don’t have a clear outcome, you don’t know when you’re finished with your task. Having a clear goal helps you achieve it a ton faster! Most procrastinators don't have a clear goal set for themselves, so they end up giving up too early or moving to an easier task. Stay with it and have a clear outcome, this can change your life.
5. Drink enough water: did you know that when we are dehydrated we start feeling sluggish and incapable of concentrating? Water and more water! This will help your brain function the way it should.
6. Follow your heart: it is so easy to get into a flow and creative state if you love what you do. When you're passionate about the goals you have set for yourself and what you're working on, you will easily enter a state of flow. Stop working a boring job that will lead you nowhere, and start something you absolutely love doing. Watch yourself bloom and become who you were meant to be all along.
A flow state is the most productive and happiest states that we can live in. You should seek it on a daily basis to see yourself grow to your full potential. However, getting into a flow state takes practice and it can't be mastered by simply reading about it. Practice makes it perfect, eventually you will easily enter it time and time again.
*Get into a flow state by taking care of you too. Check out our bath salts to help you induce relaxation and our poetry books to help you withdraw from any external distractions and immerse into pure sublime creativity.