HYDRATED SKIN 101
Have you ever wonder how to keep your skin hydrated during the colder months of the year? For some, the Fall and Winter season can cause a havoc on their skin, causing dehydrated and chapped skin. Many have so many moisturizers only half used because non of them truly hydrate the skin. How do you shop smart and get the hydration your skin needs once and for all?
First, let's talk basics. Let us see differences in what could possibly be causing skin dryness and some tips on how to fix it.
Dehydrated Skin vs Dry Skin:
Dehydrated skin causes a dull complexion that might also experience a little flaking and fine lines and wrinkles are usually more pronounced. All skin types can suffer from dehydration. Dehydrated skin is lacking in WATER.
Dry skin can feel itchy and tight due to lacking natural oils produced by our skin. This is a skin type that is lacking in OIL.
Eight Tips For Hydrated Skin:
1. Drink 8-10 glasses of water per day. Hydrating from within is one of the most important steps to a well hydrated complexion.
2. Keep caffeine to a minimum. Caffeine dehydrates your body and skin as it is a natural diuretic. Every time you have a caffeinated beverage, you need to drink an extra glass of water to replenish your hydration levels.
3. When you shower, make sure to close your door to create a nice steam. This step is simple yet effective in adding extra moisture to the skin.
4. Don't take showers that are too hot or exceed 10 minutes. Unfortunately, as much as we all love those long hot showers, they tend to pull water from our skin when the temperatures are high and the length of the shower is long. Keeping them short and warm can do the trick on keeping the skin hydrated during the colder months.
5. Use a microfiber towel instead of conventional towel to dry your face when wet. A microfiber cloth is naturally more gentle than a conventional towel. They kill bacteria, absorb dirt, grime and oil without being harsh to the skin. They also exfoliate the skin in a gentle way, leaving it smooth, soft and glowing and preparing it for serum and moisturizer application.
6. Apply your favorite natural moisturizer to wet skin to lock in moisture. We recommend our Drench Day Cream for a flawless and glowing complexion.
7. Use a humidifier all around your home, office and bedroom.
8. Make sure to get plenty of sleep so your skin gets a chance to repair itself.
Keeping Your Skin Care Routine Simple Is Best:
Having dry, dehydrated skin can cause skin irritation. Having a simple skin care routine is usually best for this type of skin. You don't need to over complicate things for a glowing, hydrated complexion.
We recommend these simple steps:
1. Cleanse your skin with an oil cleanser instead of a gel or soapy cleanser. An Oil cleanser won't strip your skin of its natural oils and it is the simplest way to get your barrier stronger and start the repairing process for a gorgeous glow. Check out our Immaculate Oil Cleanser.
2. Use a serum that contains Hyaluronic Acid to bring water and hydration to the deeper layers of the skin. Make sure it is toxic free so it doesn't irritate further the skin or be harmful for your health. We recommend our Radiant Vitamin C Serum. This serum is full of nourishing antioxidants to protect your skin against environmental damage and hyaluronic acid to plump fine lines and wrinkles and hydrate your skin with water.
3. Moisturize your skin with a non-toxic, all natural moisturizer that contains both natural oils and hyaluronic acid. This type of moisturizer will combat any type of dryness, both dehydrated and dry skin types will benefit from these ingredients. As we mentioned above, we recommend our Drench Day Cream, and you can use this moisturizer both day and night.
4. Use a mineral SPF during day time to protect your skin. Sun damage can cause further dryness and aging to the skin. Daily protection is key to a healthy and glowing complexion. Check out our Hydrating Sheer SPF 30+, it comes in a colorless formula and also two tinted formulas that leave a beautiful natural veil of color for a beautiful even complexion.
With powerful help from nature’s best botanical ingredients and a few simple changes to your daily routine, you’re on your way to healthier, hydrated skin. Make sure to do the above steps morning and night for best results.
Not all skincare is created equal. Many products and treatments might claim to be beneficial but can actually cause long-term damage to the skin, your health and even expedite the aging process by causing inflammation. Make sure to always do your research and read the labels. Go for products that are full of nourishing antioxidants, vitamins and enhance hydration, repair a compromised barrier, and support lipids. At Poet's Garden Alchemist we make sure to provide our customers with all of the above qualities to provide you with a safe and effective skin care routine for a gorgeous and happy complexion.