Skincare Routine After Menopause
Our skin after menopause becomes drier, dull, thin and more fragile. This is caused by the oil glands becoming more sluggish and producing less oil to nourish and also protect our skin barrier from the environment. The repairing of the skin also slows down due to skin cells multiplying at a slower rate. Luckily, there are steps you can take to change your skincare routine to become more nourishing and supportive of these changes. We would love to provide you with some simple tips on how to create your perfect skincare routine after menopause.
Changes that occur after menopause:
1. Loss of collagen and elastin
2. Increase in fine lines and wrinkles
3. Loose skin
4. Dry, dull skin
5. Facial hair
6. Sensitive skin
How to create the perfect skincare routine after menopause:
1. Wash your face with a gentle wash: You should ditch harsh gel or soap washes and switch to the Oil Cleansing Method. Oil Cleansers are rich in antioxidants and nutrients for the skin and they help protect the skin barrier from further dryness and damage. We highly recommend our Immaculate Oil Face Cleanser. This cleanser is composed of 10 nourishing oils that leave no reside after washing your skin.
Tip: Use it on dry skin and massage it for a minute or two. Rinse with a warm wet towel to remove all residue. You will be left with radiant, soft skin.
2. Use a Retinol in your daily routine: this ingredient is a must for increasing collagen and elastin within your skin. If used daily, it will decrease fine lines and wrinkles, even-out skin tone, decrease pore size and help with dark spots caused by aging or the sun. We recommend the Night Dew Drops with 0.4% retinol and hyaluronic acid.
Tip: With any retinol, always start using it slowly. Only use it 3 to 4 nights per week to begin with and slowly increase it as your skin can tolerate the faster cell renewal to every night. Retinol should only be used at nighttime since it can cause sun sensitivity. Always wear an SPF during the daytime to protect your skin from the sun while using a retinol.
3. Use a mineral SPF of at least 30+ every single day: Wearing an SPF daily will help decrease fine lines, wrinkles and also decrease sagging of the skin. You will also have a more even tone skin color and less hyperpigmentation. We recommend using our Tinted Hydrating Sheer SPF 30+ for a gorgeous glow while protecting your skin from further sun damage.
Tip: Use a mineral SPF after using a nourishing moisturizer to decrease the white cast that mineral SPFs tends to leave on the skin. The more nourished your skin is, the more sheer it will look. Or use a tinted mineral SPF for flawless skin and no white residue.
4. Moisturize your skin day and night: Use a moisturizer rich in antioxidants, vitamins, squalane and hyaluronic acid to improve barrier function and deeply nourish the skin. We highly recommend our Drench Day Cream.
Tip: If your skin is severely dry, mix a couple of drops of oil into this moisturizer to make it even richer in texture! We recommend you adding a couple of drops of our Immaculate Oil Face Cleanser and voila! The perfect rich moisturizer.
5. Get laser hair removal for those pesky unwanted hairs: Make an appointment with a professional to check the best course of action when it comes to hair removal after menopause.
6. Use a humidifier while you sleep to keep your skin hydrated: if it is too dry in your home, you can also use it all day long, depending how dry it is.
Our skin continues to change as we age and menopause causes estrogen levels to drop, which can accelerate aging. During these hormonal changes that take place after menopause, you will see more fine lines and wrinkles start appearing in your skin and your skin will feel more sensitive and drier. You might also start growing some unwanted facial hair due to the decrease in estrogen levels. Aging is inevitable, but using the proper skincare products on a daily basis can help minimize some of these signs of aging. We can age more gracefully and our skin can feel and look its best no matter what age you are. Always use non-toxic skincare and never forget your SPF!