How to balance oil production for a flawless complexion
Having oily skin or struggling with an oily T-zone can be frustrating and make your skin feel unkempt. The truth is, oily skin isn't always bad. It helps your skin stay youthful, get less wrinkles and gives you a gorgeous glow specially when balanced.
So why do we get oily skin?
There are several reasons why you might be producing too much oil:
1. Oily skin is most likely caused by hormonal stimulation of the sebaceous glands. Hormonal changes during pregnancy, menstruation and adolescence can be a contributing factor to hormonal stimulation of skin oil. Also certain medications might impact your hormonal balance causing more oil. Anxiety and stress also have a toll on hormones, so many factors contribute to this stimulation.
2. If you happen to have excessive oily skin, this is most likely due to dehydration! When your skin feels like it doesn't have enough hydration, it will often overcompensate and produce too much oil in order to stay moisturized.
3. Some of us simply have more sebaceous glands than others, which means it can also be genetics. For this particular group, you will see that your oily skin also comes with larger pores, and this would be a tell-tale sign of most likely having genetically true oily skin.
Ways to balance over-production of oil:
1. Do not over-wash your face. This might cause your skin to become overly dehydrated which will cause even more oil later on. Try washing your face morning and night (also after working out) and stick to an exfoliating cleanser that deeply cleanses the pores while also helping exfoliate gently the surface of the skin. We recommend our Exfoliating Enzymes Wash, it contains papaya enzymes to gently exfoliate your skin while helping with pesky breakouts and inflammation. Also bentonite clay to help purify and mattify your skin throughout the day, gentle enough to use daily.
2. Never skip the moisturizer! When your skin becomes healthy and hydrated, it will stop over producing so much oil, trust me on this! Give it 90 days and you will be shocked how much better your skin will look and feel. Make sure to use a gel cream or moisturizer with Hyaluronic Acid to help deeply hydrate your skin with water. Having some oils in the moisturizer is also good! Because this will balance water/oil within the skin and lead to a balanced oil production. We recommend our Drench Day Cream and/or Rejuvenate Night Cream. Both are lovely light creams that will help balance the skin while also possessing anti-inflammatory qualities to help with breakouts.
3. Use a treatment serum to balance oil production without causing irritation. Many serums in the market for oily/combination skin types are overly drying or irritating causing even more oil production in the long run. Try a serum that contains lilac stem cells. This is a new ingredient in the market that does wonders for oil balancing. Our Clear Pro Serum is an advanced topical product that features lilac stem cells. They contain a compound called verbascoside in conjunction with other amazing active ingredients like L-Ascorbic acid. This formula balances oil production very quick! You will notice a difference within a week of using this serum. It helps heal breakouts, brighten the skin and with hyperpigmentation. A must to have in your skin care routine for beautiful clear and balanced skin.
4. Don't forget to use a mineral SPF every morning after your moisturizer. An SPF made out of Zinc Oxide will be the most beneficial for this type of skin. Sun damage can also be a contributing factor to over production of oil. Try our Sheer SPF 30+, it comes in a colorless shade and two beautiful tinted shades.
5. Drink a ton of water. make sure to drink a minimum of 8 to 10 glasses of water per day. This will help your skin stay hydrated too! In turn you will produce less oil and be healthier over all.
6. Cut down on eating sugar and refined carbohydrates. Why? because they increase insulin production which cause stimulation of the sebaceous glands and also acne. Try eating high fiber foods instead. Diet is also key!
Try these tips for 90 days and come back to this blog and comment below! We would love to hear from you and how these tips worked for you!